Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Table for FIVE, please.



We're growing.  Namely, my belly.  And our current clan of 4 will soon be 5.  I just hit the 13 week mark in my pregnancy.  On Monday all four of us got to peek at bean #3.  Today the boys and I visited the very doctor that delivered them.  Three years ago this week that same doctor admitted me to the hospital to start my bed rest stay.  Needless to say, today's appointment was much less eventful but nonetheless exciting.  My elastic pants feel tight and I’m up a size in jeans.  I’ve worn one maternity sweater and I’m thankful I don’t have to dress for work each day.  Gym pants are my new uniform and my recent purchases of leggings and knee high boots are my attempts to stay stylish.

Last Saturday went like this: I woke up and ate taco pie for breakfast.  After a good run (thank you new shoes!) I had tea and a banana.  When my mom arrived to play with the boys and do some laundry (their machine is on the fritz) she had a Starbucks in her hand I suddenly wanted more tea.  By 11 I was starving again.  While my fridge and pantry have plenty of healthy options I reached straight for the Ramen noodles.  Shameful.  10 minutes after I was finished and claimed I was "so full" I was eating spaghetti with the boys at the dining room table.  By 2:00 I met a friend at Wendy’s for a frosty that I’d been craving since Thursday after seeing a commercial for one.  Upon arriving home at 4:00 the boys wanted to go get frozen yogurt at Sweet Frog.  I obliged:)  On the way we stopped at the bread company so I could restock my supply of cinnamon swirl bread.  It makes a great nighttime snack and I’m hooked on it.  With a little butter it's as good as a doughnut:)  Thankfully I did not get my own cup of yogurt at Sweet Frog, but what a shame that Garrett didn’t like his Nutella choice and this lady wasn’t going to let it go to waste.  He had plenty of strawberry in his cup, so both of us were satisfied.  That night was leftovers (yes, more taco pie) and a carb loaded snack before bed because carbs is all I want these days.  Somewhere between 9:00 and 9:30pm I started to get nauseous so I headed to bed.  By 2:00am I woke to go to the bathroom and then laid in bed hungry/still nauseous. By 4:00 the boys started to stir and I had to pee again.  By 6:00 all four of us were in one bed and by 6:30am Mickey Mouse was on and I had another piece of cinnamon bread in hand.

In the last 13 weeks I've had some form of pasta for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner.  I've craved spinach salads with tomatoes, goat cheese, and vinegar.  I've also had a hankering for tuna nicoisse salad and hot ham and cheese subs loaded with peppers, onions, and vinegar.  Montana Gold Bread Company seriously has the best cinnamon bread in the world and their fluffy challah rolls are amazing too.  Maybe the real butter probably has something to do with it.  Kix cereal makes a great pre-bedtime snack and I can't seem to stay out of the peanut butter jar accompanied with raisins and a sliced apple either.  Chili and my dad's Pasta Fagioli really hit the spot for a while.  Raspberry sorbet (specifically the Talenti brand at Fresh Market) and flavored iced teas (the colder the better, even on cold and rainy days) satisfy me too.  I no longer have a taste for coffee, but have recently reacquainted myself with hot tea.  Chamomile, green tea, and vanilla rooibos are my top picks.  

 

I can now come clean about why I've been SO TIRED lately, as referenced more than once in a few past blog posts, and I can finally share the rest of our Christmas pictures since the boys proudly wore their Big Brother shirts to share the news with our family over the holidays.  I can also blame locking my keys in the car twice in three weeks, throwing away a gift card (yes, I fished it out of the trash), and forgetting to pack clean undergarments in my gym bag on 'baby brain.'  My emotions are slightly overloaded, as displayed by my weepiness when Garrett simply and sweetly uttered "You're welcome!" one day.  And let's just say my temper is a little short fused lately.  While we might need more space, we aren't moving anytime soon.  If you visit overnight I'm sorry to say you'll be relegated to the couch or our lovely queen size air mattress on the den floor.  Our current guest room will stay yellow and become the new bedroom for baby #3.  We'll find out the sex, per Joe's request, the first week in March and I'm already mulling over name options.  The grandparents are pulling for a girl, but I hope they're ok if their bets missed the mark.  I just want healthy.  Some of our friends suspected our good news and were not surprised and others were simply floored.  Their excitement helped solidify the realness of all of this, which has taken quite some time to sink in.  I'm excited to work out during this pregnancy, as I was cut off at 12 weeks when the boys entered the picture.  I'm hoping for a drama free, uneventful, typical-as-possible, full term experience, so the more low key the better.  Family member #5 is expected to arrive sometime around July 20 and by September the boys will be in preschool.  Gulp.  My dad and I are already perusing our new cookbooks for meals to be made and all we need in the way of supplies and gear is diapers.  I'm thankful to have family nearby, whose help will be welcome anytime, and am hoping that our favorite babysitter will be over often since she'll have been driving for a few months by then!  The extra space in the van will now be well used and I'm guessing the play set that Joe's been staining will be our go-to entertainment activity once we're house-bound with a newborn for a while.  I'm fully aware that there will be no slowing down on Garrett and Gavin's end, so with the help of a good baby carrier, we'll manage to keep busy too.

I'm excited, unsure how the logistics of 3 kids will work, anxious about those newborn days, but above all grateful our family is growing.  Look out, baby on board!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Thanks for visiting!