Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Diggin' It

When I was 5 my dad brought home a brand new Honda Accord LX.  It was a blue hatchback with these black slat things on the back window.  I thought it was sooooo cool.  I loved that the seats folded forward and I declared they would be 'no eating' in Dad's new car.
image from oldparkedcars.com  
When I was 17 I drove a 1990 Honda Civic.  We bought it from one of my dad's coworkers; it was dark gray; and I loved it.  Because it was a stick shift I had to learn how to drive all over again.  I almost stripped the gears and gave my dad quite a few gray hairs figuring out how to properly shift.  I also think I had my first real panic attack when I accidentally shifted into 2nd instead of 5th gear driving down a main highway at 60 miles an hour.  Ooops.  I also got pulled over quite a few times in that car.  Maybe one day I got pulled over twice in the same trip and ended up with a reckless ticket.  Maybe.  Because I frequently locked my keys in the car and often left my lights on and drained the battery, I was well acquainted with the locksmith in Blacksburg.  It was a good car.
image from wikipedia.org  
When the break pedal in the Civic went all the way to the floor one day I called my dad to see if he wanted to go car shopping.  I had just graduated from college and was planning to buy a new car the following year.  My plans were fast forwarded for obvious safety reasons and I left the dealership with a new/used 2003 Honda Accord.  It was another manual and it was silver.  I felt so grown up.  It made countless road trips, resided at a couple different apartment addresses, hauled various loads of stuff/books/games/supplies to my classrooms, took a few shameful dates home, participated in a fender bender or two, and eventually ended up with two car seats in the back to cart my most precious cargo.
image from wikipedia.org
It breaks my heart a little to see the Accord go.  We haven't officially sold it...it needs a major cleaning and Joe needs a back up vehicle while he makes some repairs to his monster truck.  In the meantime, however, the boys and I have 'moved in' to our new ride.  And I can't lie...the more I drive it the more I LOVE it...the features, the space, the convenience!  Good thing, because it's here to stay a while.  Hello, 2011 Odyssey.  As the owner of 3 Hondas prior I guess it was only inevitable that you'd be our next upgrade:)
Ok so maybe I did put off becoming the driver of a 'mama mobile' because of a long standing bet I made at the age of 9 or so with a longtime friend that stated 'I'd never drive a mini van!'  However, I'll clarify that vans in the late 80s were not the hottest things around...wood paneled Town and Countrys?  Conversion vans?  No thanks.  So thank you once again, Honda, for making me feel excited for my newest ride:)  Soccer Mom, Swagger Wagon, Mama Mobile...call it what you like...this family is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Thanks for visiting!