Monday, August 13, 2012

PLAYDATE Grown Up Style

Last Wednesday was quite out of the ordinary.  Joe and I both had the 'day off' for some playtime.  Last time we enjoyed a free day together, but this time we went our separate ways to do some grown up playing to each our own.  Joe and a buddy finally redeemed their vouchers for the "NASCAR Experience," where they got to drive a race car.  Joe hit 108 mph and over the phone I could practically see his beaming, ear to ear smile as he told me, "WOW, THAT. WAS. FUN!"  To top off the day the guys squeezed in 9 holes of golf and had lunch at Hooters.  Boys will be boys. 
Thank you, Corey, for this shot.
 My play day wasn't quite as exciting, but then again, that depends on who you ask.  I'm not one to splurge on frivolous things for myself and any of my friends can tell you I'm a pretty cheap frugal shopper.  So when my mother in law gave me a gift card to a massage and facial spa for my birthday a couple months ago, I almost felt guilty accepting it, let alone taking a day to enjoy the services it offered.  I hadn't made the effort to schedule an appointment until I got a welcomed email from my in laws offering to watch the boys.  For an entire day.  Morning, noon, and evening.  So the day before I called the spa to check for open time slots and the receptionist had no problem convincing me to add on a massage after my facial was done.

I dropped the boys off at Oma and Opa's, grabbed a coffee at Starbucks, and headed to the spa.  Let me say that again.  I got a coffee alone and went to the spa.  One more time.  I enjoyed an iced coffee in a quiet car while on my way to the spa.

I'd never had a facial before and that night before bed I almost felt guilty washing all that good stuff off.  I couldn't bring myself to pay over $100 in skin care products before leaving, so whatever I can find at Target will have to serve a close 2nd for at home facials provided by yours truly.  I'm pretty sure I dozed off once or twice while my head, shoulders, hands, and arms were rubbed while a hot wash cloth draped my face.  The massage was just as relaxing and offered welcome relief to some tight muscles.  Maybe the best way to explain how good all of this felt is to describe what my mind was doing while laying on a warmed table under a fleecy blanket while steam was blowing on my face and zen like scents and sounds filled the room.  On a normal basis when I close my eyes to regroup during the day or fall asleep at night I see something like this:

image from http://www.rsdnation.com/node/135530
But as the facial got started and the relaxation of the massage continued, the images in my mind started to look like this:
image from http://www.flickr.com/photos/38979552@N02/3668859171/
And by the end I'd reached this:

To say the day was a success would be an understatement.  After the spa I grabbed lunch at Panera, visited the Dollar Store and Old Navy, and browsed cards at Hallmark.  I ate lunch in front of the TV, straightened the house, and ran the vacuum without the fear of waking a sleeping child.  The boys were great with their grandparents, enjoying a visit to the mall to ride the train, napping well in big boy beds, and playing a lot both inside and out.  I can't deny the fact that I missed them and every time I checked the clock I thought about what they were probably doing, but this mid-week break was a real treat.  And maybe spending a little money every now and then for another facial isn't so frivolous after all.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a well-deserved "free" day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, that sounds like my idea of complete and total heaven. I'm so glad you got a day to yourself! For all the work you do, you completely deserve it!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Thanks for visiting!