Friday, July 13, 2012

In the Kitchen - Summer Fruit and Veggies

Oh summer produce, I love you!  

At girls' night last week my friend Amy whipped up (literally in a matter of minutes) an amazing squash casserole with marinara sauce.  I'll admit that my first thought was that it didn't sound that appealing to me.  When I made it myself for my parents they too said it didn't sound good at first.  And then we tried it.  And went back for seconds.  Because it's that good.  I don't know that she followed a specific recipe, but here's the gist:

2 zucchini
1 onion
1 red pepper

Slice and saute in olive oil until onions are translucent and zucchini is tender, but not too soft.  Al dente.  Season with salt, pepper, dried oregano and thyme, and garlic powder.  Pour into a casserole dish, top with a can of crushed tomatoes and some of your favorite jarred spaghetti sauce.  Add mozzarella cheese and broil until bubbly and melted.

Get creative and add whatever you have on hand.  The first time I made this dish I roasted some eggplant to add in with the veggies.  The second time I made it I added meatballs and noodles.  Feta is also a great addition, as are Kalamata olives.  It doesn't have to be perfect - just use what you like!

And if you're making dinner, you might as well put together dessert.  So the boys and I went with some friends to the blueberry patch the other day, which has since warranted muffins, whole wheat corn meal pancakes, and our favorite pie.  All with blueberries of course!  This pie recipe comes from the berry patch's Facebook page and it's always a pleaser.  YUM!

9" Deep dish pie shell. (uncooked)
add 3 cups of fresh blueberries

Mix the following in a bowl and pour over berries in pie shell
1C sugar
1/3C all purpose flour
1/8tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2C sour cream

Mix the following until crumbly and scatter over pie.
1/4C soften butter (not melted)
1/2C sugar
1/2C flour

Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Sometimes a few more minutes to get a nice golden brown color. Pie tends to drip, so place something beneath it as it bakes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that sounds delicious but I need some little boys to go berry picking with.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Thanks for visiting!