Friday, June 8, 2012

Whew! I need more deodorant and a nap!

Specific people are put into our lives as very special friends.  Niki and I met through our mutual friend Erin (Who, by the way, is my friend, roommate, and sorority sister from college that now lives just 8 houses down...things work out too perfect sometimes.) and last night all of our families got together for dinner as our kids ran wild and the adults still denied that the Youngs are moving next week.  A couple years ago the three of us moms went out for drinks.  Erin headed home at a reasonable hour because she had to work the next day, but Niki and I, barely knowing each other, decided that the night was too young to end.  So after some wine we migrated to a bar down the street for more drinks.  We hit it off over mommy stories, VT stories, husband stories, and maybe one too many vodka limeades.  It's one thing to be hungover on a Saturday, but it's another thing to be hungover and having to chase a kid(s) around the next day.  We were instant friends.

We play together regularly and our chaotic crew moves in stride. 

Niki and I don't miss a beat changing diapers, sharing food, fetching burp cloths, trading strollers, running late, or making/changing plans at the last minute.  This type of friend is priceless.  So on Wednesday when we were both running over 20 minutes late to meet at the mall to play and grab lunch, I had to chuckle at her text message: "You will recognize me because I'm wearing the same clothes I was yesterday."  "It's cool," I told her when we were both finally seated and the kids were running, climbing, jumping, and sliding, "I haven't showered since yesterday either; we came straight from the gym where I got my uncoordinated tush kicked to the curb; I applied deodorant in the car; brushed my sweaty hair with the comb from the boys' diaper bag; and covered it up with a headband.  Not to mention that my saggy pants are a size too big, my shirt has a hole in it, and only because I had to run home and get my wallet to pay for gas did I manage to change out of my running shoes and put sandals on, so as not to look totally frumpy.  So you're in good company." "Cool," she laughs, "So let me tell you about last night..."

And our morning continued as we caught up, vented, laughed, and still denied the fact that the moving truck is coming next week.  This all took place while holding little hands so the kids could do their "big jumps" off of everything; chasing the boys across the food court; asking them to stop growling at the other kids; and hopping over other mothers to prevent the boys from body slamming each other on top of a nearby baby.  Oh yea, and Niki was nursing too.  Motherhood is so graceful.  

Our pizza lunch was delicious, but I'm certain the huge slice I ate loaded with spinach and tomatoes completely negated my gym visit this morning.  Once World War III ensued over who was going to wear which Crocs to the car, I made a bee line to the parking lot, loaded up the boys, and headed home.  On the way out I texted Niki to say, "Sorry!  Bye!  and Whew!  I need more deodorant and a nap!"  Because doesn't everyone share such a glorious side with themselves?  Only with the most special of friends.

Because this is how we roll.  It's called COMPROMISE.
And as we pulled out of the parking lot all was right and calm again as I spotted a Starbucks drive thru.  I swear it was placed there just for me at that moment.  I pulled out one of the many gift cards from my wallet, got myself a drink (something virgin is the best a mom can do at 1pm while driving home with two sleeping kids in the back seat:)), and rode home in silence.

Worn out kids, good friends, and iced coffee can make everything feel right.  

***

So that is where I thought the blog post would end and I'd hit publish.  But that was before the rest of the afternoon unfolded.

I swear as I typed that last period I heard chatter upstairs.  Gavin's nap = fail.  And when naps don't happen that means my shower won't happen and getting the smelly kitchen clean won't happen and getting the dressing made for tonight's potluck dinner won't happen.  Hello iPad ABC apps!  And snuggles on Daddy's side of the bed, per request.  And Dinosaur Train so I can actually sneak in that shower only to hop out and find Gavin half way down the stairs by himself.  But one kid not napping is better than two kids not napping.  And how.  
image from http://www.catchingfireflies.com/products/good-moms-wall-art.html
Garrett finally woke up, snacks were had, and just as I thought I could sneak inside for five minutes to get things ready before heading down the street to the Smiths' for dinner with them and the Youngs, I get Niki's  message: "Everyone melted down after naps.  Still at home.  I need Husband's help and won't leave without him."  Oh friend, we are indeed in a parallel universe because here was my response, "No naps; Gavin in time out; bloody nose and lip for Garrett [he's ok]; still at home; will be late; can't wait for wine."  Mind you all this took place around 5:30 and we were supposed to be at the Smiths around 5:00.  Oh the best laid plans.

And then we all finally arrived.  And the kids played beautifully.  And picked at their dinners, but devoured their icecream.  And the dads hung out outside with the kids  And the moms ate peanut butter balls around the table and talked.  And the kids chased lightning bugs.  And everyone went to bed later than normal.  And it was perfect.  Because this is how it's supposed to be.



1 comment:

  1. I hear this type of thing keeps you young, that and ownig a dog. Hope your friend is not moving too far.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Thanks for visiting!