Tuesday, April 17, 2012

In the Kitchen: Black Bean Sloppy Joes (or not)

I found this recipe (slightly modified by me) in Parenting magazine recently, tore it out, and stashed it away until last night.  The nightly breaking point was near and I didn't have a thing ready for dinner.  Within ten minutes our meal was simmering on the stove and I returned to our front patio with four glasses of wine in hand to enjoy with the neighbors as the kids danced through a cloud of bubbles (thank you, new bubble machine).  Mom victory.

BLACK BEAN SLOPPY JOES
2 t olive oil
2-3 minced garlic cloves
1/2 medium onion, chopped
 2 cans black beans, drained
1 15oz. jar chunky salsa
1 T brown sugar
1 T Worcestershire sauce or barbecue sauce
1 t Dijon mustard
1/2 t cumin
hamburger buns/bread
cheddar cheese (sliced or shredded, whatever you prefer)

Saute garlic and onion in olive oil over medium heat.  Add black beans, salsa, brown sugar, Worcestire/barbecue sauce, mustard, and cumin.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Spoon onto bun and top with cheddar cheese.

I actually had some leftovers today for lunch and put the black bean mixture on top of brown rice, which I liked better.  Tomorrow I'll finish the last of the leftovers on rice again, but plan to add a squirt of lime and a little cilantro.  Corn would be an easy stir in too or a simple side dish to round out the meal.  Or forget the buns and rice altogether and serve as a dip with tortilla chips (my newest favorites are the Tostitos Artisan flavors)!

Fast.  Easy.  Yummy.  Score.



1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this?? TOTALLY making these - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Thanks for visiting!