Monday, February 13, 2012

Tubular, Dude

On Friday we were at the doc's office by 7:00am so both boys could have a Bilateral Myringotomy with tubes - a.k.a. ear tubes.  We've been to the their pediatrician 17 times in 15 months for ear-related visits alone.  That doesn't count the visits (or co-pays) for well checks, RSV, Rotavirus, Bronchiolitis, Roseola, and Croup, so needless to say, we're pretty psyched about not having to see the doctor so often!  In addition to the tubes relieving pressure (Poor Gavin covers his ears and says, "Bubble."  I guess there's more popping going on than I realized.), I'm also hoping their sleep improves and their language development picks up.  Either way, healthier kids = happier mama!  

Every single mom whose kids have had tubes put in has told me it's life changing, even as soon as the drive home from the surgery center.  Well that's great for you, but that wasn't the case for us.  Go figure.  Just like the chance of having identical twins in the same sac is about 1 in 25,000-60,000 (And did you know that being boys is even rarer?!).  Just like only 4% of kids have an adverse reaction to the MMR shot lasting longer than a couple days and my children were MONSTERS for 7.  So I've learned if there's a statistic with a small percentage associated with it we'll fall into it.  I've never paid attention to statistics in my life until the birth of the boys.

Anyway, the procedure itself went fine and, as expected, the boys were pretty ticked off when they awoke from the anesthesia.  Once we got home and had some snacks in front of the TV, life was back to normal, albeit a little fussiness and tired eyes.  I wasn't sure if it would be a stay-in-your-pjs kind of day (which has never been in our repertoire - these boys gotta move!) or if we'd need to find an activity outside of the house.  Without fail it was the latter of the two, so off to the Children's Museum we went!

Shirts from Great Aunt Carol and we love them....soft, worn cotton and 100% adorable.
Certainly they'd nap well after a full morning...ha!  1 hour later they were full speed ahead again.  

Certainly that night would be restful, right?  Ha!  Gavin was up at 11:30pm and 2:30am and was awake FOR THE DAY at 3:30am.  By 6:30am Garrett woke and our day got started.  

THANKFULLY the boys were happy despite running on little sleep.  Joe and I weren't quite so cheery.  

That night we were in Greensboro visiting my brother, so the boys napped in the car on the way down and we just kept our fingers crossed for a decent night's rest...ha!  Up at 11:30pm, on the couch with Gavin by 2:30am, and awake by 5:30am.  Joe took Garrett into bed with him at 4:30am and joined us in the den at 7:00am. 

I'm quite certain the doc slipped a little something extra in that anesthesia.

After a rough, cranky (all four of us), and long drive home, all was right with the world by this morning after the boys slept soundly from 8:00 last night to 7:00 this morning.  Fingers crossed we're all back on track.  It might have helped that I was asleep before 9 last night as well:)  In the end, let's just hope these tubes are the trick to ending our frequent doc visits, antibiotic dosages, and ear pain/fluid build up!  Because that would be pretty tubular.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Thanks for visiting!