Monday, January 30, 2012

A Ranting She Will Go

Today was filled with chronos and kairos.  Educate yourself here about two such categories.  So, so true.  And by the day's end the smooth outweighed the bumpy.

Chronos
Our day started in the doctor's office.  I felt like the idiot mom dragging her kids to yet another sick appointment as they happily ran around the office while we waited.  And waited.  Waited for 90 minutes to be exact  Sorry, doc, but after a wait like that I did not feel sorry for you as you suffered through two funky diaper changes in that small office.  My typically sweet, easy going, considerate Garrett just hadn't been himself since Thursday.  Irritable, fussy, decreased appetite, and more rolling-on-the-floor fits than normal.  His cough had gotten nasty over the weekend and since the boys are finally getting tubes in their ears next week I didn't want the pre-op appointment to be a fail if he had yet another infection.  For the record, this makes the 17th ear-related visit in 15 months between both boys.  Mind you that does not count well check ups and visits for RSV, Croup, Rotavirus, and Roseola.  Anyway, my instinct was right: Garrett has another ear infection.  Which also made me instantly recount every single time I lost my patience with him in the last three days...awesome, Mom.  You let your frustrations get the best of you and your kid was only trying to tell you he's sick.  To top it off the pharmacy was unable to fill the prescription until tomorrow.  

BUT

Kairos
The boys behaved BEAUTIFULLY in the waiting room, playing with toys, chasing each other, laughing, eating their entire lunch, and yes, climbing on chairs (but by that point I didn't care).  I stopped.  In the moment.  And took in their sweet giggles, agile legs, tousled blond hair, and loved watching them interact knowing they have a play mate for life.

***

Chronos
Then we came home, the boys napped, and I started another pot of soup.  I looked at the mile-long grocery list, told my brother I'd help them pick up their nursery furniture, and then started thinking about the week ahead and how there was no free time to swap the cars, pick up dinner for a friend, and run these stinkin' errands on my list (because when I tried to run them on Sunday during nap time and I was able to get out alone two of the three places were closed, go figure).  Normally I would shrug this off and what gets done gets done.  But today for some reason my heart raced, I felt flustered, and I just couldn't come up with a logical plan.  I'd rather sit in that doctor's office again for close to two hours than take two restless toddlers grocery shopping.

BUT

Kairos
My mom called.  At the exact right moment.  How do they know how to do that?  She said she wanted to help out and see the boys sometime this week.  After I explained my silly anxiety she simply said, "Great, I'll be there at 1:30 tomorrow."  And poof, just like that everything fell into place.  It also helped that I was able to get Gavin back to sleep mid-nap; some part-time work fell into my lap thanks to a friend's recommendation; and my neighbor could supply the one missing ingredient for tonight's girls' night dinner.

AND

Kairos
When the boys woke up I decided we needed a treat.  So we headed to Sweet Frog.  And instead of loading them into the stroller we held hands, walked across the street together, and enjoyed a late afternoon snack date.  They each got their own yogurt cups, filled them with strawberry and vanilla with my help, sat in the high spin-around chairs, and with every bite held their spoons high like they'd just won a first place trophy and shouted, "Wooooaaa!"  I don't have a picture to capture their sheer delight, but I definitely took one in my mind.  It was one of those 'I'll never forget this ordinary afternoon' moments and I smiled to watch their sticky faces swallow huge, cold bites and couldn't really believe my babies have gotten so big.

***


And even though it's almost midnight and I'm supposed to be up in 5 hours for a morning run to do it all over again tomorrow, tonight I'm thinking of...

How sweet it is to watch a sleeping child, even if it means he's sick because it's the only time he'll really snuggle in my arms, let me run my hands through his hair, and rub his head, only for me to feel his first scar that was caused by an over the handlebars tumble just before Christmas.

A local heartbroken mother who's mourning the loss of her sweet twin girls and their father.

A nervous friend, who tomorrow will share the story of losing her son the day he was born.

And I'm thankful for what I have.  Even the stupid, frustrating chronos moments.  And more importantly, the stop-you-in-your-tracks-this-is-what-it's-supposed-to-be-about kairos moments.


2 comments:

  1. What a great post! I'm thankful you had some great moments in the middle of a crazy day. Hope G feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so good. Those tragedies really put things into perspective. Hope this week goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Thanks for visiting!