Monday, December 12, 2011

Let Me Tell You 'Bout the Birds and the Bees

I actually have a couple other posts ready to publish, but the boys are napping unusually long today (a RARE occurrence....yippee!!!) and since I got all of my chores done I sat down to waste time on my iPad and came across a link my friend posted on Facebook.   

image from realtylab.wordpress.com
 Maybe I've missed this memo or need to stay up later on Saturdays, but thank you, Joanne for introducing me to Julia Sweeney - an actress, author, and comedian whose work has appeared on Saturday Night Live(namely It's Pat), and various movies and TV shows, such as Pulp Fiction, Stuart Little, Mad About You, According to Jim, etc.  She's also well known for her monologues.  Save a few minutes for yourself, get comfy, pour a drink, whatever, but you must watch  


You'll laugh out loud and certainly conjure up nightmarish images of having this talk with your own parents or preparing yourself to have this talk in the future with your own kids.  God help us all.

Now I've had worries about being a parent.  When I was pregnant I worried myself to sobs numerous times thinking about all the things that could go wrong.  Then when the boys arrived and I knew they were healthy I started worrying about how I was going to raise respectful, motivated, honest, caring boys.  And of course all the usual stuff like pooping, weight gain, eating, sleeping, and schedules.  But this.  I haven't even come close to this.  SEX.  Clearly, I've got years to come up with something profound, but surely they'll hit me like a ton of bricks with their questions.  But I'll be ready.  I'll try my hardest to be ready.

My parents and I never sat down and had the 'birds and the bees' talk.  That's because MY MOM taught my entire religious ed. class about the 'birds and the bees' AND an entire class the year after me about it too.  Poor lady - she just volunteered on a whim to help out for the year or so.  She didn't know THIS was the curriculum.  So there I sat in my Monday night 4th grade Catholic religious education class as my mom laid out the facts...properly named parts and all.  Family Life classes in public schools don't get into this stuff.  They just talk about bodily changes and they don't let you ask many questions anyway.  Maybe it was a good thing I didn't have to have this talk one-on-one.  It spared us some awkward moments or time for questions.  I didn't come out any worse for the wear, but we didn't carry our classroom conversations to the dinner table either.  Nope, having my mom get sixteen 9 year olds through the lessons was sufficient.  And did I mention my crush sat just a few seats away?

At a 'mommy boot camp' class on Saturday one of the participants announced she was having a boy.  She already has a 3 year old little girl and she was expressing her nervousness about handling a boy and what to do with all the parts.  "I don't know about all that!" she exclaimed.  Another participant chimed in and said, "Sure you do.  It's what got you to this point in the first place!"  Just some food for thought:)




1 comment:

  1. saving this!!! one of the funniest things I've watched in awhile :)

    "terrible zoning"

    *fun post*

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Thanks for visiting!