Wednesday, December 14, 2011

It's the Little Things...

It's the littlest things that make me smile.  Ok, gush and get tears in my eyes because I'm that grateful.  I'm sure that sounds cheesy, cliche, and trite, but it's true.  Damn mommy hormones that never subside.  Even Hallmark and Pampers commercials and hearing Louis Armstrong sing What a Wonderful World make me tear up.

Anyway, here are my favorite little things lately that I find myself enjoying when I slow down just a little to take it all in...

1) Watching sleeping babies.


2) Throwing rocks in the pond on a 70 degree December day.


3) The nice lady in the food court who helped me as I was carrying a cup of water, pushing a double stroller, looking for a vacant table, and dragging two high chairs behind me.

4) Walking to Starbucks.

This was taken on a grumpy Monday morning in April.  Fresh air made the boys happy and a coffee fix made Mommy happy.  A win win!

5) Listening to the boys' giggles before bedtime.


6) Content shopping buddies in Old Navy and finding clearance items that fit.

7) Quiet mornings before anyone is up to clean the kitchen, address cards, and start the coffee.

8) Little boy kisses...slobber, snot, and all.  Lately the boys have left their mark on our front door as they watch the giant excavators and diggers on our street...I told you they were obsessed.


***

I'm also quite enjoying the feeling of Christmas. 



The decorations feel cozy.  Some are homemade and some have sentimental value.  See that Nutcracker?  It was a gift from Joe on December 17, 2005 when he popped the question and tied inside was the ring:)  The peppermint wreath was no idea of my own...my friend Amy shared it on her blog so I attempted it.  The boys and I gave into my our chocolate peanut butter craving the other day and made 'reindeer food,' aka Chex Mix Muddy Buddy Mix for a quick late morning snack.  And our field trip to Bass Pro Shop was an experience unto itself, but the biggest hit was the remote control race track!  What's that?  There's a realistic looking Santa and mailboxes in which you can send him your letter!??!  Alas I have 200% boys and race cars, laser shooting ranges, and the camo four-wheeler were waaaaay more interesting:)


I enjoy admiring the ornaments we've collected during travel journeys...NYC, Vegas, Greece, Australia, Hawaii, Seattle, San Francisco, etc.  There's also ornaments commemorating where we got married, our alma maters, the plaster tree I painted in third grade, and of course, our boys.  


Never mind that, I, queen of Christmas tradition, resorted to an artificial, three foot, pre-lit tree and stuck it on a nightstand in front of a window.  Sometimes something's just gotta give.

But if you really want to keep the season magical, take a look at it through the eyes of a child.  This is my friend Vicky's daughter Mallory and the look in her eyes just about sums up the wonderment of the holiday season. 



And so, this Christmas season
may our hearts with gladness glow,
As we read the blessed story
That took place so long ago.
-Alpha L. Buntain ("The First Christmas")

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you do it all with twins... amazing! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Thanks for visiting!