Sunday, November 27, 2011

I'm the Mom and I'll Cry If I Want To

Today started with chocolate chip pancakes.  

That got thrown across the dining room and ended up on the floor next to some hardened cheese from yesterday.

The day ended with two boys dancing and splashing in the bath.

With a puddle of pee outside the tub.

In between we played at the botanical gardens, visited our oldest relatives, and Skyped with grandparents.

Good day, right?  But I'm going to admit that sometimes I just want to throw in the towel.  At 31 years old sometimes I don't want to play at one more park or visit one more mall kid area or scoop one more shovel of fake sand at the Children's Museum.  I want to browse the card section on un-borrowed time; I want to watch Lifetime movies all day and not feel guilty about the pile of laundry staring at me in the face; I want to complete my to-do list in one day; I want to have engaging adult conversation or gossip over mindless celebrity news; and I want to use my brain beyond the 'oh-crap-naps-were-short-what-can-we-do-next' mode.  I want, I want, I want.  But having kids changes everything and there's no looking back.

Don't worry, I DO cherish these days because they go by quickly and I DO appreciate the time we have together; but sometimes I want to throw the peas right back and I want to leave the wagon outside with the kids still in it and I know that sometimes it's me that needs the time out. Only human or totally mad?

MAMA SAID THERE'D BE DAYS LIKE THIS and tomorrow is a BRAND NEW DAY, but every now and again I want to kick and scream just like they do because I'm the mom and I'LL CRY IF I WANT TO.
I know how you feel sometimes, guys.
Did I mention that I wouldn't trade them for the world?


5 comments:

  1. You're awesome. :) - Andi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krissy I love your honesty and how real you are - you are a wonderful mom. I am at such a different point in my life with Kellen at college and Hannah becoming so independent - it is funny how when they are little you would kill for some alone time and then when they get older there is too much alone time. I would love to come play with them Sat or Sun and give you a break - just say the word.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. Mother of fraternal 2 year old twin boys and referred to you by mutual friend Alison Richards. Your post made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea Guthrie-CarrawayDecember 1, 2011 at 9:31 AM

    I only have one monster and I feel like that. Nothing buy admiration for what you put up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome - totally posting this one on Facebook! Thanks for sharing Krissy!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Thanks for visiting!