Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Cookie Monsters

I love to bake.  Always have.  It's therapeutic, creative, fun, and tasty.  I get satisfaction in offering others a sweet piece of love.  It's also something I share with my dad...we swap recipes, plan menus, work in the kitchen together, and give feedback on our final products.  It's not out of the ordinary for me to whip up a batch of homemade cookies at 10:00pm on a weeknight.  I admit that sampling the dough is 99% of my motivation, but who can complain about the end result, right?!

While I still love to bake as much as ever before, it's a little more challenging to do with two kiddos crawling in between my legs.  A few months back I sent the following email to a few friends who also enjoy a good 'get-out-the-flour-butter-and-Kitchen Aid mixer-session' as much as I do...
 ***
Ever tried to make cookies while trying to entertain two 15 month olds?  It goes like this....

-have head beaten with cabinet door as you reach in for the flour, baking soda, sugar, etc. because babies want to see what's inside the cabinet
-set out all ingredients on counter
-pull out jello boxes, spice jars, and boxes of macaroni for boys to play with; add mixing spoons and sifters to play with too
-provide blocks to play with as well
-adjust oven racks while babies aren't looking so they don't crawl onto oven door
-measure and sift dry ingredients while saying "oooooooh" to keep babies entertained
-hold one baby to prevent a meltdown and beat wet ingredients; let baby help hold mixer
-try to keep pants on while other baby crawls up legs
-let babies sample pure vanilla paste....mmmmm
-let babies sample batter before adding eggs....mmmmm
-quickly set baby down, scrape sides of bowl, dump in chocolate chips and pecans, mix
-now that the mixing is done take babies to bed for a nap
-bake cookies while babies sleep (and sample batter:))
 ***
Fast forward 6 months and I had a change of heart.  Why not let the boys HELP make cookies.  During all of my babysitting years I always baked with the kids I watched, so why not start now with my own...
 


Final verdict?  SUCCESS!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! As a proud recipient of the original email, I enjoyed this post a lot! :) Cute shot of the boys in the mixing bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just added to the list of things to do when you are here at christmas:
    1. bake cookies with boys
    2. hire trucks to drive by house at regular intervals throughout the day

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Thanks for visiting!